Sunday, February 14, 2010

Boost Converter

I bread boarded up a simple boost converter. Thanks to Ronald Dekker for his post here











I was able to steup up my 12V battery to over 100 Volts. But I'm still wrestling with what the scope pictures mean. For instance:
Here I can see the voltage jump up off the inductor when I close the switch. How do I know if I'm saturating the inductor completely from this picture?


Here's one with all the same settings only a 33% percent duty cycle instead of 50% as in the first one. The voltage has dropped from 42V to 18V and there's this odd looking voltage that jumps up when I open the switch. What's up with that?
I still think a super cheap "smart panel" that would boost voltage to whatever your device (load) needed would be good. The b-stock eBay cells go for about $1 per watt but for small 16 watt panel you'd only have a panel that put out 4 volts. So with a smart switching power supply you'd have a fully functional panel to drive a remote device for less than $20. That's gotta be useful. That's what these experiments are driving towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment