Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Blinky red light

Here's the exciting update...  I got some standoffs, so I can mount the board in the box, then I soldered up the switch and knob (potentiometer) to the board.  Also I got the code loaded onto the chip and running.  Proof being the blinking LED on the board.  Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5JdNqs8WE

I ran into some frustrating compiler/linker problems over the last couple of days.  I tried to build the code and the linker crashed.  I'm not sure what the problem was but I found a workaround by changing the setDutyCycle() function to a macro.

Sorry the videos on the previous post are no longer working.  I can't seem to upload them to here anymore.

I've got the missing MOSFET transistors (electronic switches to turn on/off the pump and solar panel) coming in the mail along with some solar cells.  Once I get those mosfets soldered in I'll test the whole rig in the Sun; pumping some fountain water.

In other news I've decided it would be more cost effective to build my own custom panel by buying b-stock cells on ebay.  That way I can build exactly the wattage I need and just step up the voltage using the microcontroller and a DC/DC boost circuit.  That will also allow me to glean some more efficiency by doing the MPPT (maximum power point tracking) algorithms and changing the panel voltage based on load and available sun light.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment