Monday, September 19, 2011

Silkscreen jig for labeling the controllers

You have to have some kind of label on the controller, that looks decent. I've been getting vinyl labels made at sign making shops and then trimming them with an X-acto knife. It turns out nice but is time consuming. So making a silk-screen jig made, so I could get some quality labels and artwork on the controller has been one of many necessary things that I didn't think I'd wind up doing when I started this project two years ago.

So the idea is that the box lids can't slide side to side and they have a common surface that is level so that they can be silk screen effectively.
























This is the finished jig. The clear acrylic was cut on my buddy's laser cutter (very handy tool, although it's a project in itself).




















Another shot of the finished jig with four box lids in place.















View from the back. Cutting holes in the back so you can pop the lids out easily once they have been screened.



















Another shot of the jig with the acrylic cover, that holds the box lids stationary. I think the acrylic will be glued down to the wood. The box lids can be installed and removed with the acrylic in place.











I let my 13-year-old daughter test drive the router. Cutting lines in plywood is still a novelty.




You can get a screen made and screen it yourself or find someone that regularly does screen work, like a T-Shirt shop, do it for you. There's plenty of instructables and resources on silk screening available online.

No comments:

Post a Comment